Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pork Adobo (Humba) Bisaya Style



Yesterday I tried cooking Pork Adobo (Spanish for sauce) Bisaya(Visayan) Style. I just couldn't get the right taste and texture. So,I ended up opening google and looked for the right recipe.

Pork Adobo Popularly knows as Humba is a Visayan dish, Humba is basically cooked same way with adobo, it is a bit salty and sometimes sweetened with sugar. And a little oily and dry compared to other style of adobo.

Now im sharing you the perfect recipe.....

Ingredients:
Cooking time: 45 minutes

1 k. pork liempo (belly), cut into big cubes
1/2 head garlic, crushed
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
3 pcs. bay leaf
1 tsp. peppercorns, crushed
salt

Cooking Direction:

In a thick sauce pan put all ingredients add enough water to cover meat and bring to a boil. Set heat to medium low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until pork belly are tender. Remove all scum that rises, add more water if necessary. When pork skin turns to gelatine like texture. Correct saltiness and sweetness according to taste, set heat to low and continue to simmer until all the liquid has evaporated and pork start to render fat. Now cook the pork on its own fat until brown on low heat stirring occasionally to avoid burning the bottom.

1 comment:

  1. yeah! ADOBO!!! Filipinos favorite!!! I have seen from a feature in Adobo Nation the different ways and recipes on how to cook and prepare Adobo. But they mainly use the 5 main ingredients: meat. vinegar, soy sauce. pepper corn and the bay leaf. To share my experience since I learned to cook adobo I was not satisfied with it for years. My husband has no choice but to taste my dish. He commented and while eating he told me the proper way to cook adobo is to have the meat cooked in it's own fat, and that's the secret. Now. at last I took his advice...Wallah! perfect! Just from it's smell you'll know you have cooked the Adobo right. Now he loves my Adobo!!!! Isn't that good?

    ReplyDelete